Sunday, March 13, 2016

Trying To Get Legal Approval To Use A Song...

     Hello my good people! I almost totally forgot to make a quick post about how I am currently in the process of getting legal approval from a recording company to utilize one of their songs in my film opening production. The song I wanted to use was "Happy Together" by a band called The Turtles. The overall process was actually pretty easy to figure out how to find and contact the label as to request for the legality to include their song. 

    I began by simply researching the song, and found a Wikipedia page that listed in a column on the top right side of the page all the necessary information I needed to know about the song, like who was the label that owned it. It stated that the label was one called White Whale. Then by simply researching the label's name on an Internet browser, I stumbled upon their home page and went to the "FAQ" link that was on the home screen. From there, the label website listed the email I needed to get in contact.

Here is a screenshot of the email I sent to White Whale:
 

     In the email, I clearly state how I am going to use the requested song and that I will be making no money off the making of this project (I found that imperative to include in the email). In the email, I included some contact info (I did include my cell number in the actual email but I covered it in white for this blog posting of the photo because I don't want just anybody to be able to have my cell number, I'm more exclusive than that, please...).

     I'm not so sure as to how long it will take to receive permission from the label, or if they will even give me permission in the first place, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. 

     I was inspired to request for the song "Happy Together" after reading this list of the top ten happy/cheerful songs that have been used in horror movies in order to make a scene feel even more unsettling, ironic, and disturbing. I have to say, I was really considering using "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" by Tiny Tim (used in the horror movie Insidious), but it for some odd reason reminded me too much of some character or song from a childhood show I used to watch called SpongeBob SquarePants, so I stuck with my gut and went with the song by The Turtles.

     I will keep you all posted for if/when I am granted approval to use the song. Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment